Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First Two Days Teaching

Yesterday i began teaching classes at the Kweli Learning Centre.
Every Monday I will teach
2st Grade Math, Bible, & English
1st Grade English

And Tuesdays I will teach:
1st Grade Bible & Math
2nd Grade Phonics

When I first walked into the classroom on Monday morning i was so nervous! My worst fear? That they would not understand me!
They learn their subjects in English, but they still don't know very much English. But everything went extra fine! The second graders understand the most English, so to begin the week teaching them was very good for me!
We played around the world during their math lesson and they absolutely LOVED it. apparently one of the kids went home that night asking their mother if they could play it! Teaching the 1st graders is a little more challenging.
Today, during their Bible lesson i could tell that they really were not understanding me too well. When you teach math they are used to hearing the same words over and over... they know those. But Bible brings in a lot of foreign words. I had one of the teachers explain things in Swahili from time to time... just to get the point across. They were not completely lost though! :) or else that would have been very bad.
Today i had some math problems on the blackboard for them to come up and work on... the 1st graders loved that!
I am really really enjoying teaching.
And I enjoyed it today when one of the 2nd grade students came up to me during recess and said "Teacher, I remember." And pointed to her head and said "Anything you think," (then she pointed to her mouth) "say" (then she held out her fists) "or do that does not please God." And i said "What is that called?" "Sin!"
It is rewarding when they understand and apply what you are teaching them. I am really enjoying it! Who would have thought phonics would be fun! :)
It is also really cool to put to use a lot of things i learned in my teaching classes at Pensacola. I took a whole class on teaching phonics. which i used very much today! and yesterday i used a book that we had to teach from in my Teaching Bible class. different other things are popping up too! its really cool :)

1 comment:

  1. Phonics is NOT fun. I promise. But watching children learn God's word through teaching them English IS! Thats so awesome! Im praying for you!

    ReplyDelete